Human development with equity and sustainability is the greatest challenge of the time. Today's prosperity is achieved on the basis of research done in engineering sciences which has its foundation on mathematics and physical sciences in last few decades. Our national population has reached the figure of 180 Million with some careful estimates and there would be a tremendous need of quality research in the field of engineering education.
A PhD holder in Electrical Engineering can significantly contribute towards strengthening the national infrastructure for research and involving intelligentsia of the country to work towards meeting national challenges such as energy crisis, exploration of natural resources and their utilization, launch of wireless 3G/4G, industry automation to meet export targets and to bring about the much needed IT revolution.
University of Management and Technology (UMT), with a vision of establishing quality research and meeting market demands, is offering this program that aims to encompass a broad area covering advanced digital and analogue electronics, communication, signal processing, multimedia, computer vision, advanced controls for robotics and microelectronics/nano-electronics.
The PhD EE program provides the graduates with the broad as well as in-depth technical education necessary for productive employment in the public or private sector. It is designed towards development of understanding of advanced issues important for current and future needs of the region. The PhD Electrical Engineering program at UMT also offers an understanding of the breadth of education and depth of training necessary for leadership in this profession.
The goals and objectives of the Doctoral program in Electrical Engineering are to prepare its graduates for careers in professional practice, research, and university teaching in EE. It will allow motivated researchers to expand their knowledge and acquire new skills in analysis and problem solving, creating challenging opportunities for a full, rewarding research career. The program will also cater for the demands and needs of local industry and strategic research and development (R&D) organizations of the country. This doctoral program will impart
- Knowledge of the engineering principles.
- Knowledge of current events and contemporary societal issues.
- Knowledge of the state-of-the-art Information Technologies.
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental and societal context.
- Facilitate systems engineering and project management.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written, verbal and presentation) across all levels in the enterprise.
- Ability to grow through life long acquisition of knowledge.
- Ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability.
- Ability to identify, formulate and solve Electrical Engineering problems.
- Ability to function in multidisciplinary teams.
- Capability to use state-of-art engineering/computer tools necessary for engineering practice or research.
- Skills to find and use available technical information.
- Ability to communicate effectively in written reports.
- Ability to design and conduct experiments, tests or simulations as well as to analyze and interpret data to validate assumptions and hypotheses.
- >Ability to evaluate current electrical engineering techniques.
- Ability to initiate, conduct and report substantial research in national and international journals and conferences.
The PhD program in SEN at EE Department is designed towards educating scholars who will assume leadership positions in industry, academia and government at the regional, national and international levels. The increasing role of technology in critical sectors such as communications, energy and the environment, as well as the important role that Punjab province will undoubtedly play in these technology sectors, puts the PhD program in SEN at EED in a strategically important position with respect to its peers.
PhD graduates from UMT will directly contribute towards innovations, and solutions to current challenges and towards increasing the intellectual capital of the state and the region. Graduates leaving UMT will serve as ambassadors and help UMT connect with opportunities around the world. Research breakthroughs and technology innovations will lead to new products, growth of existing companies and the formation of new companies within Pakistan.
As per HEC regulations.
PhD Degree Procedures and Regulations
As per UMT PhD Handbook.
PhD Course Work
Each student must take at least a total of 18 credit hours course work at 600 level.