Mechanical engineering faces dramatic challenges due to rapidly changing technologies and a new pattern of societal and industrial demands.The vision of the PhD Program is to meet these challenges and exceed the expectations of its constituents by focusing on the following:
- Development of a productive research program through a strategic focus on technology development in emerging areas such as thermal power, mechanical design, alternative energy and production engineering.
- A high quality program in tune to the needs of the program’s constituents; the students, employers, faculty.
- Healthy enrollment that facilitates diversification of curriculum and faculty research and professional development.
- Become proficient in their focus area core courses and research.
- Produce high quality research and communicate their research clearly and concisely.
To be a leader in education and research is the goal and objective of the graduate program in Mechanical Engineering. We seek to produce future leaders for industry, academia, government, and society -- leaders whose vision is founded upon fundamental knowledge, analytical skills, creativity, perspective, and ethics. We seek to advance technology and science by combining basic knowledge with the innovative application of engineering and scientific principles. And, we seek to enrich our educational and research programs, and ultimately society, through service. This graduate program will impart
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering.
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data.
- An ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability.
- An ability to function on multidisciplinary teams.
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems.
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility.
- An ability to communicate effectively The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context.
- A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning.
- A knowledge of contemporary issues. An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
- Ability to initiate, conduct and report substantial research in national and international journals and conferences.
A PhD is recognized by employers across a wide range of sectors as a sign that you will bring a distinctive skill set to their organization. There are also opportunities where your subject-specific skills and knowledge will be in demand.The PhD program in SEN at Industrial & MechanicalDepartment is designed towards educating scholars who will assume leadership positions in industry, academia and government at the regional, national and international levels. The increasing role of technology in critical sectors, as well as the important role that Punjabprovince will undoubtedly play in these technology sectors, puts the PhD program in SEN at IME in a strategically important position with respect to its peers.
PhD graduates from UMT will directly contribute towards innovations, and solutions to current challenges and towards increasing the intellectual capital of the state and the region. Graduates leaving UMT will serve as ambassadors and help UMT connect with opportunities around the world. Research breakthroughs and technology innovations will lead to new products, growth of existing companies and the formation of new companies within Pakistan.